Monday, June 7, 2010

Using Apache Camel from Clojure

I've been looking at Apache Camel for a project at work, and had a bit of trouble getting it working from Clojure, so I wrote this up in case anyone has the same issues.

The first example in Camel in Action watches a directory for new files, and copies them to an output directory. Here are the steps to get that running in Clojure, using leiningen.

  • Create your input and output directories
  • Create a new leiningen project
  • Add the following to the project.clj




  • run lein deps
  • Add the following to your src/org/whitlark/fc.clj (or whatever your last name is ;-)




Part of what screwed me up was the fact that you need to include spring in the project in order to get camel to work properly.

You can also use a macro to make the code even cleaner, like this:



Which I think compares nicely to the original Java:



I'm sure there are more improvements possible, but this got me started.